Only a Slow Pace can Improve Your Productivity

When we talk about productivity we always measure speed. By the word productivity most of the people understand how fast someone can do something; but few people count how well something is done. I have an obsession with quoting Einstein and I feel very tempted to do that here also. The great mind said:
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

When you are at work, often you feel tempted to look at the quantity and ignore the quality. Like we writers are often asked how many words we can write everyday. I understand that it is a standard measurement of the industry. But when I answer someone, I say how many words I can write really well. Suppose I can write 3000 words per day; but I always keep it to 2000, because I want to write it really well. And I know that with time I will attain a speed of writing 3000 words really well per day. But I would never like to chase myself with that goal.

I have been learning Indian music since my childhood. In any stream of Indian music, it starts at a very slow rhythm and then ends up really fast. Why it is so, you can wonder. When a musician starts his/her music, she/he focuses on each and every note. In this way the musician as well as the audience get completely absorbed into the music and then they can play with the notes. 

When a beginner practices music she/he needs to go very slow and focus on each and every note. In this way the brain understands each and every note very well. Even if you feel tempted to go fast, you should not do so. Once your brain understands even the finest patterns of the notes, you will be capable of going fast. It is a matter of continuous practice. All traditional musicians dedicate at least 2-3 hours per day to their practice.

Once Swami Vivekananda was asked how he could read so fast. He said that he started reading very slowly; he kept focusing on each and every word. With this practice, his brain got well-trained in reading and then he became able to read at an amazing speed.

In Tai Chi or Yoga practices, the masters always instruct to do each movement slowly with focus and concentration; in this way the body becomes trained in doing artful movements. It is not speed, rather depth that gives you power from within.

I know that you cannot apply this law to everything in real life. But if you do at least one practice daily, if you do at least one thing slowly without chasing yourself with a goal, your brain will be trained in developing focus and concentration. It will help you in your overall productivity.

Photo by InvisiblePower via Pexels.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Handle Random Thoughts

Practise Exorcism to Boost up Productivity